- 400g (14oz) Minced beef
- 400g (14oz) Macaroni pasta
- 1pcs Yellow onion, chopped
- 1tbsp Canola oil
- 1pcs Bouillon cube
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1/2tsp Ground black pepper
- 1tsp Onion powder
- 50g Butter
- 8dl (3cups) Full fat milk
- 3pcs Eggs
- 1tsp Salt
- 200g (7oz) Grated cheese
- Heat up your oven to 200C/400F
- Boil your macaroni pasta according to the package instructions (usually, 8-10 minutes cook time in a pot of boiling salted water – 1tbsp per 1liter of water), drain the liquid, and set the macaroni aside
- In a frying pan, add in the oil and fry your onions until caramelized
- Add the minced meat and bouillon cube and fry until the meat is brown and the bouillon has incorporated into the mix
- Add in the salt, black pepper, onion powder, and butter, mix until everything is combined and the butter has melted – taste and adjust accordingly
- In a different bowl, combine milk, eggs, and a couple of pinches of salt
- In a large bowl, combine the macaroni and minced meat mixture and transfer it to a deep baking tray or any ovenproof deep ceramics which you can fit the whole mixture in
- Pour in the egg and milk mixture over the macaroni and minced meat mix
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and then take it off to add the grated cheese on top and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted
- Serve it with ketchup! Yes, you read that right. Try it before you judge it.
Finnish Cabbage Casserole
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil – divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- one cabbage (about 2 pounds), sliced and chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pepper, to taste
- 1 and 3/4 cup good quality broth
- Cook rice as you usually would. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400’F. Grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon fat of choice in a skillet and add beef, onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook until meat is completely browned. In another large pot, melt remaining 2 tablespoon of fat over medium heat.
- Add chopped cabbage and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook covered until soft, stirring occasionally – about 8-10 minutes. Turn down heat if cabbage is sticking to pot or add a tablespoon of water.
- Once cabbage is done, turn off heat and add cooked rice, meat/onion mixture, optional maple syrup, and pepper to taste. Mix to combine. Scrape into prepared skillet or baking dish. Pour broth over the casserole.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown on top. (Casserole will cook faster in a cast iron skillet. Longer cook time is for regular baking dish.) Cover with foil if top is getting overly brown.
- 1 cup stone ground dark rye flour
- 1 1/4 cups (6 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup buttermilk
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In the bowl of a food processor combine rye flour, flour, baking powder, and salt and pulse five times to combine. Add butter and pulse until it is the size of peas, about another 5 pulses. Add buttermilk and pulse until dough comes together into a ball.
Shape dough into an 8-inch round. Bake until brown, about 40 minutes.